Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Book Recommendation & Garlic Scapes

I have been having so much fun with this book that I just had to dust off my keyboard and write a quick post...

"Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces from the author of Food in Jars", by Marisa McClellan is a wonderful read filled with so many unique recipes and ideas.  
 

Sometimes you just don't have the time, the means, or the space for larger batch canning, and happily, the recipes within these pages fit all those bills.  
For me, it's a matter of a shrinking family.  My husband and I (and whichever daughter is passing through the house at any given moment) just don't need that much in the larder anymore.  I preserve enough to get us through the year and not much beyond.  Plus, I love to experiment with new recipes.  This book gives me the opportunity to try something new without a big commitment to either space or taste.

Yesterday, I was able to try out one of her yummy Black Cap recipes (or Black Raspberries, as they may be known in some parts of the county).  It took me less than an hour...so easy.  I only had 2 cups of Black Caps to donate to the cause and it was perfect.
Wrestling around in that Poison Ivy was worth it!!

Another recent recipe from these pages was a version of pickled Garlic Scapes.
We never quite know what to do with those little devils once we've pulled them.  
Row of Garlic in our garden
Our wonderful neighbors showed us how last year, but you can only throw so many into your salad before people start heading the other direction!  
I haven't opened a jar yet...but I have high hopes!!

If you're interested, here is the best advice I found on harvesting Garlic Scapes.
I hope you find this helpful. I'm sure a copy of the book can be found at your local book seller, Amazon or local Library (which is where I always test run a book before buying!).  You can also visit Ms. McClellan's ever popular website by clicking on the link --> Food in Jars. It's been a favorite stop of mine for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment