Thursday, May 3, 2012

Small, Cheap "Antique" Gift Idea

Unexpectedly had a couple hours with my middle daughter yesterday and on a wild hare we decided to run over to Waynesville (see a previous post here) to do some antiquing.  I wasn't looking for anything in particular and that's just what I walked away with.  Odds and ends.

These little gems got me thinking though...
Celery Dish-measures 2½" x 5¼" (outside edges, not including handles)

Candy or possible Soap Dish with Hobnob lip (6¾" x 5½", outside edge to outside edge)


....these would make really cute "packages"!  So I dug out some pretty washcloths I knit a while back...
Pattern:  Fiber Trends Bathing Beauties

...and my stash of Tulle (my absolute favorite wrapping medium!!) and played a bit.
Just a strip of Tulle tied in a bow

Full wrap...Lol,  this is me being cheap and not cutting my Tulle to fit exactly

So, with very little cost or effort, you can find cheap little pieces of glass at your local antique store, run to the fabric store on coupon day for Tulle and voila, you can hand your friend a sweet "Thinking of You" gift.  Total cost for both of the dishes were under $10., Tulle was dirt cheap, and the yarn I picked up at Michael's on coupon day...all in all less than $15.

**Don't think you have to be overly crafty here.  I don't see why a bag of Skittles, treats for a pet or a gift card wouldn't be just as thoughtful!

The other thing I purchased were these adorable antique postcards...$1. each.  I scanned them in for you to copy if you'd like (right click, Save Image As).  The postmark on them is 1910 and 190? respectively.  Graphics Fairy has a lot of yummy stuff at her blog, so head over there if these don't float your boat.
This would be cute printed on card stock and attached to your gift!!



Well, I've got whole wheat bread on the dough cycle in the bread machine along with rhubarb and asparagus from the garden I need to can, pickle or pie, so I'd better scoot.

Feel for me today...roofers are doing their thing above me...NOISY!!!

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea! The dishes are wonderful!
    Thank you for following my blog so I was able to find yours! I think I really will visit you often. It's such a beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete