Sunday, April 1, 2012

Our Spring Yard


As I peek at the Weather Bug on the edge of my monitor, I see it's 69° outside.  How is one to resist perfect Spring temps for very long?  So out I went to survey the land...(I wish)...

First thing I needed to do, before they got out of control, was pull up the old stems from last years Spearmint.  
It was a little scary in there....
It looks so much better now...
I really never use them, the previous owners put them in.  They were Pakistani and used them a lot in their cooking.  I should pull the whole thing out, but I don't have the heart.  The smell of spearmint reminds me of my grandma.  When I was a kid, she brought me over to her s-mint patch and rubbed some on my wrists.  I smelled the skin off myself that day and ever since I associate the smell with Gram.  I still rub it on my wrists.

So while I'm at it...here is how things are growing this year...
Rhubarb....check
Looking like it's going to be a banner year this year.  And I get to harvest much more this year because it's four years old!!  Pretty excited about that.

Next...Kiwis...check√
The last two or three years either the weather or the rabbits have taken their toll on the poor things.  This year we finally got smart and put up some chicken wire around the bases.  That seems to have taken care of the bunnies, and we've already been out once in the evening with sheets trying to protect them from pop-up freeze warnings we've had.  We do have a male and female and the variety is called "Anna", if I remember right.  It supposedly does well in Maine, so we figured it would do fine here.  We have yet to prove that theory.
UPDATE~~It froze last night!...and you guessed it...disaster.  We covered it, but to no avail, I think there are 6 green leaves left on the poor things...all else is frozen-brown.  Ugh.

Let's see next is the Asparagus patch...check and check√√...
 We've already harvested enough for two or three meals.  This is their 6th year and they are soooo good!

This is one of our two Blueberry plants...(it has yet to receive it's check....)
These have struggled since we bought them.  Partly due to the critters that nibble and partly due to our learning curb.  We put a "cage" around these, too, this year.  Now we wait...

Also not quite earning it's check this year (yet) are the ever bearing Raspberries...
 I'm sorry, but I really don't get these plants very well.  I grew up with the 'staked' seasonal raspberries (I picked them in the summer for $$), but I always forget these are outside needing to be checked.  We'll weed them and give them one more year to prove themselves (they haven't been big producers) and then it's curtains!  Today I placed an order at Gurney's  for a couple Heritage Raspberry plants.  My sister in S. Oregon swears by them, so I'm hoping for good things.

This is my overgrown herb bed, the things that come back strong year after year.  I think I need to get my hoe out and do some precision surgery this year though.  They are running rip-shod over the area!
Especially....duh, duh, duh.....
CHIVES!!!   They have taken over out there!  And how, you may ask, did this happen??

Above you is the culprit...seeds.  They bloomed and seeded all over the place!  So, I am now prompted to sit out there and pinch off all the buds so they don't pull that trick again!


The last thing I have to present at Show and Tell is my husband's water barrel system.  Water is outrageously high here, so this is our solutions for garden water...
And again...
And...again...

There are eight in total.  Hopefully that should keep water costs down and be an asset in an emergency.

We have been shopping for a few acres to build on and become a little more self-sufficient, but to no avail so far.  Being farm kids ourselves, the urge to return to the land is great, like Salmon spawning.
Wish us luck on our endeavours, as we wish you the same.
(Broccoli, spinach, lettuce and peas went in today.  Poor guy...he needs more space!!  That tree is meeting it's maker this year.)
Hope this wasn't too boring, the kitties certainly enjoyed the spectacle as it was occurring!

4 comments:

  1. Love your blog, garden, kitties and especially your Dutch Beauty Sampler! I am in awe! I just gave you the Liebster award if you'd like to play along! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jen! You are too sweet.
      I'm definitely in on the Liebster and think it's a wonderful idea!

      Delete
  2. What a great post...I love your water system. Do you ever read the www.reluctantentertainer.com? Sandy and her family live on a large city lot and have done a great job turning their backyard in to not only entertainment space but a garden as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirstin!
      Our water barrels have been mostly empty this summer, due to the drought...maybe next year...
      Thanks for the heads up on the website! I'll head over there right now!

      Delete