Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sauerkraut and Chicken Feet

Yep, you read right...Chicken Feet.  Do not read any further if you are of a squeamish nature....YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!

My husband's family considers this somewhat of a delicacy...either that or they WAY enjoy popping the knuckles and pads and watching me squirm to every nibble and Mm-m-m, Mm-m-m, Mm-m-m they emit.

While in Oregon last year with my family, my sneaky little hubby, left to his own devices, found a source for the disgusting appendages...Jungle Jim's, in Cincinnati.  You can find anything there, it's a foodies paradise.  I have to watch that boy every minute...

To make the day a bit more bearable while the pot's a simmerin' (nice of me to share my misery...huh?), I thought I'd post the recipe for those of a more adventurous nature...

Sauerkraut and Chicken Feet
(click here for printable version of recipe)


2-15 oz cans Sauerkraut (I used Libby's Bavarian Style Sauerkraut with caraway seeds)
1/2 c. barley, rinsed
1 package chicken feet, toe nails clipped off  (10-12 feet)
1-2 bay leaves
1/2 t. salt, or to taste.
Cover with water, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 2-3 hours.
Serve with boiled potatoes.


I have to say, it's super fast to put together and maybe you could substitute another chicken part, if this is just too much for you.  If I hadn't married into a family of chicken-feet-lovin'-lunatics....I know I'd be subbing away!!

No comments:

Post a Comment