Sunday, October 9, 2011

Blackberries and the Abyss

I'm back.
Things got a little rugged for a while.  My mother passed away while I was home and that led to many other things requiring my attention.  It was one of the hardest 'life episodes' I've gone through.  There are things I would like to discuss at some point regarding Hospice.  Mostly positive, but there are a few negatives that I need to get off my chest. 
This "Circle of Life" stuff is misery.

Not wanting this post to be a total downer (man), let's talk about....BLACKBERRIES!!!!!   Woot.

While I was home Blackberries were on!
Aren't they beautiful?
Oh, for a really good camera....
I picked and picked and picked.  One day, my dear ol' pop came down the driveway and helped!
He was the smart one, wearing long sleeves...I'm still healing from the scratches I received from the thorns...
Ouch.

So what did I do with all those berries?  Well, there was the old stand by...cobbler...

I made this sugar free using a Xylitol/Splenda blend and a homemade (Bisquick-type) baking mix recipe I found online (sorry I don't remember where, though I think they are everywhere and very generic)
5 c. flour
1/4 c. baking powder
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 c. butter.
Mix well with a pastry fork or pinch between your fingers until fine...the method I used....

Determined to bring some home with me, I dried the rest of the berries I picked...
...and after a week and a half of picking and drying, I ended up with approximately 3/4 of a gallon of dried berries to fly home!

I have no idea if they will rehydrate well or not, this was an experiment for me, but we'll soon find out.  I'll post the results later.

I'm still sorting things out around here... have so much to catch up on in every area of my life.  Lots to clean, sort, bake and ponder.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. We just went through the loss of my FIL. The blackberries and cobbler look wonderful. I'll have to get my DH to make some cobbler sometime. Thanks for stopping by my blog! (I love how Dutch Beauty looks over your mantel. I need to get my up over ours!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, Margaret. I'm so sorry, I haven't responded sooner. Hope the holidays went well for your family regarding the loss of you FIL.

    ReplyDelete