Friday, May 13, 2011

Honey Spice Bread

M-m-m-m, how's that for an opener?

Today, I thought I'd head back to Grandma's Cookbook, my grandma that is.  If you haven't tripped across my blog before, I occasionally post recipes from my grandmother's 1940's, self-typed, cookbook.  I love browsing through it (though I only possess the photocopy I made).  The more I make from the book, the more I realize how much they made of what they had.  There isn't a fancy ingredient in the whole book, just what they could get their hands on, if they were lucky (rationing considered). 

This is the recipe of the day...
For starters...the ingredients are reminiscent of a Christmas-type bread.  Look at all the lovely spices...

...nothing is better than beautiful amber honey....

...but what I was happiest about is that you can do this whole thing in one bowl and by hand..
Sorry hand mixer, back to cupboard for you....

At one point the directions tell you to let it stand for 1 hour. Why?  I dunno...to me, it looked the same after an hour of sitting.

The next day...the wait is over... 
I'm telling you, it took will power of the most extraordinary kind...and a lot of husband shooing. I don't blame him...I heard the Siren's song all night, too.

Beautiful...dense...delicious...


Notes:
The only real notes I have are...give it a chance.  The first bite I was under impressed, but then it got better and better as I went.  It doesn't need anything (butter, jam, etc...), but if that's what you crave...it can handle it. 
Like most of Grandma's recipes, it's dense, very dense, which makes it super with tea or coffee for breakfast or snack time.  And...it doesn't get stale quickly!  I think it's the honey acting as a preservative.

Bottom line, I really liked it.  It's that simple.

1 comment: