Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Holiday Treasures

Are you like me and have special family pieces that only come out during the holidays?  Why is that?
Two or three times a year I'll dig out Grandma's china or the chip and dip service...never during the year.
Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  That's it.  The china cabinet gets emptied and the captives are freed.
I love the special pieces, you know...the ones with memories attached.  I guess that's why we pamper them, shield them, everything short of diaper them...although some cotton shielding may be a good idea in some cases......

Anyway, here are a few of my treasures.  I figure if they aren't allowed to see the light of day but three times a year, I may as well give them a little surrogate exposure.

This is my mom's chip and dip set.  I'm pretty sure it was a wedding present my folks received in the mid-1950's.  I love it and the color is sublime.  She gifted it to me last year.  Thanks mom!

This is a piece of Vaseline Glass, also known as Uranium Glass, that I inherited from my grandmother.  I like it for olives...black on one side and green on the other.  It's my baby.

This is a stack of my grandmother's china.  My aunt reserved it for me after Grandma's passing and I adore her for thinking of me.  I have the whole set.  I love, love, love it.  It usually makes an appearance at Easter and Christmas.  Somehow it doesn't seem terribly Thanksgiving-y to me.

And last, but not least in my husband's eyes, is the enormous coffee maker he received by way of his grandmother.  As a kid, this is the type of percolator I remember our church kitchen utilized to serve the throngs during coffee and visitation time.  It makes a mighty large quantity of coffee and we've given it a second chance at life in our home during the holiday seasons.  Hubby is the chief barista.

There are more goodies in my stash, and I may grow a brain and remember to photograph the lot next time they are out.  For now, this is a start.

Maybe my New Year's Resolution should have been to use the 'holiday treasures' more often during the year....uh...well....some year....in the future....maybe....
Um....never mind.
Diapers please....

No comments:

Post a Comment