Saturday, February 26, 2011

One Month Muffin Dough

My daughter is constantly begging me to make a batch of these muffins.
They are so good, I don't mind taking the time and once done the  muffins last for up to a month...or in my household...2 weeks...or less....
FYI...The recipe is from my mother's friend and we made them a lot back in the 1970's!  It's a keeper.

One Month Muffin Dough 
(Click here for printable version of recipe)

2 c. boiling water, poured over:
2 c. Kellogg's All Bran "Bran  Buds".   Let Set.

3 c. sugar
1 c. oil
1 qt. buttermilk
4 eggs, beaten
5 c. flour
5t. baking soda
1 t. salt
4 c. Kellogg's All Bran Cereal

Cream oil and sugar, add buttermilk, beaten eggs and hot Bran Buds cereal.  Mix.
(Disgusting to look at, but a necessary step!)
Add flour, salt and soda (sifted).  Mix.  Add All Bran Cereal.  Mix.
Bake in a 400° oven for 20 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.
Keep in quart jars or 2 three pound coffee can.
Refrigerate 24 hours, then use as needed.
Can keep up to 1 month in the refrigerator.

NOTES~~(It's going to get long this time!)
1.  What really needs to be discussed is storage.  While my mom and her friends used coffee cans, I find them somehow unfit for service, if not downright ugly.  So I found a plastic storage container that fit the bill perfectly and takes little room in the fridge.
 I then placed a label on the top of the container that had the baking time, so I wouldn't have to keep referring to the recipe.


2.  After the muffins have been baked and cooled, place them in a plastic food/bread bag.
In a few hours they will be perfect.  I don't know why, but they seem to almost "glaze" themselves in the plastic bag.  Slightly sticky, moist and yummy.
3.  I like to substitute 2 cups of the all purpose flour with 2 c. whole wheat pastry flour.  I've also substituted egg beaters for the eggs and applesauce for the oil...or at least half the oil...
4.  I've never tried it, but I bet diced dried apricots would be good in these...or raisins...or dried cranberries! 

Update 05/2012:  I didn't have Bran Buds last time I made these and used "The Original Fiber One Bran Cereal" as a substitute.  I worked well, but the batter was a little "gloppier".  Taste was not affected to any noticeable degree.
These are great for breakfast, with any meal or just as a snack with a piece of fruit.  I'm not big on bran muffins, but these are exceptional!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment