Monday, November 8, 2010

Cauliflower Soup

Stopping by with a quick tip and recipe tonight....
If you're anything like me, you buy a beautiful, cream-colored cauliflower with every intention of using it right away.  But then...life gets in the way and it eventually finds it's way to the very back of the refrigerator....lonely and forgotten.  By the time you discover the poor, neglected vegetable, it's starting to show it's age...and it ain't so pretty anymore...(with this I can sympathize!).
Usually, I end up sitting there with a knife, paring all the blemishes off the surface, making a HUGE mess.  Tonight, however, I had a brain storm...which doesn't happen often.  Why not use a potato peeler to "peel" away the brown bits?  So with my Zyliss potato peeler in hand I went to town, and surprise, surprise....it worked!!...beautifully!  No more chipping away at the cauliflower head, just a few passes with the peeler and I'm done!  Yay!  I realize that I'm surely not the first person to come up with this little tip, but I get excited over the small things. ;)

Now that the cauliflower is peeled and usable again, what to do with it....?
(I peeled the head as a whole before I broke it up)
How about some lovely Cauliflower Soup?  This recipe came to me from a friend I worked with years ago and is one of our favorite soup recipes.


Cauliflower Soup

1/4 c. onion, chopped
1/4 c. butter
2 T. flour
4 c. milk
1 t. salt
dash pepper
1 medium head cauliflower, cooked and coarsely chopped
1 c. shredded, sharp cheddar cheese

Saute onion in butter until tender.  Blend in flour, cook 3-4 minutes without browning.  Add milk, seasonings and cauliflower.  Cook until smooth and slightly thick, stirring frequently.  Just before serving, add shredded cheese and stir until melted.

Serves 4-6

**Notes~~ 
1.  I chop the cauliflower before I boil it (about 5 minutes), throwing in all the bits, then drain well.
2.  Be careful when adding the flour.  I have yet to make the 3 minute mark.  It seems to want to brown very quickly...so I just mix it in well with the butter/onion and move on to the milk addition.  It's fine.

Super good, super fast.  Serve with cornbread and a nice tossed salad for a satisfying meal (that note came from my friend...and she was right).

Just another recipe for a cold fall/winter evening.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment