And since it's getting late here, I'm determined to keep it as short and sweet as possible (was that an audible sigh of relief I heard?).
So here is Grandma's original recipe:
Green Bean Stew
1 T. bacon grease
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
2 c. green beans, cut into 1" lengths
2 c. potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
6 c. hot water
1-12 oz. can evaporated milk (optional)
1 lb. hamburger
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. salt
1 c. flour
Melt the bacon grease in a 4 quart sauce pan or pot. Add garlic and onion, sauteing until translucent.
Add green beans, potatoes and hot water, bring to a boil.
Make meatballs, mixing hamburger, egg, salt, pepper and flour. Shape into tiny (slightly <1") balls and drop into boiling stew.
Cook until beans are tender, seasoning well with salt and pepper. If desired, you may add a 12oz can of evaporated milk right before serving for a more creamy soup.
|Without evaporated milk|
|With evaporated milk|
1. Don't be afraid of the bacon grease, it really does add "something" in the background flavor.
2. Make sure you season the stew with salt and pepper, it's a little bland otherwise.
3. My hubby LOVED the meatballs. I'd never "constructed" any quite this way before. They held together wonderfully while cooking and had a very different texture from other meatballs we've had.
4. I was able to make about 80 meatballs!
5. Maybe adding a pinch of an herb would be good in this...like thyme or...???
6. I preferred the evaporated milk..made it a little richer.
7. I served this tonight with Triscuits, goat cheese and cut up red peppers...and was very satisfied.
As you've probably guessed by now, I'm a down home cook. Nothin' fancy here. I like bacon (and it's flavorful grease), cream, half & half and butter. My cholesterol is 151 and my blood pressure is 110/70. I'm allowed.
Anything I post can always be adjusted to your liking, it won't hurt my feelings. In fact, I'd love to hear about the alterations you've made!!
Time for me to pick a few things up around here and then do some major crashing on the sofa...
And then.....z-z-z-z-z-z-z Good-night everybody!