Friday, October 29, 2010

Green Bean Stew

After another sleepless night last night, I thought a batch of comfort food would be just the ticket to soothe me into Lullaby Land tonight.  Hubby had recently put in a request for a test run on one of Grandma's recipes, so I picked up the notebook and started skimming through it's pages.
And since it's getting late here, I'm determined to keep it as short and sweet as possible (was that an audible sigh of relief I heard?).

So here is Grandma's original recipe:
Here is my rewrite:
Green Bean Stew

1 T. bacon grease
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
2 c. green beans, cut into 1" lengths
2 c. potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
6 c. hot water
1-12 oz. can evaporated milk (optional)

Meatballs:
1 lb. hamburger
1 egg
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. salt
1 c. flour

Melt the bacon grease in a 4 quart sauce pan or pot.  Add garlic and onion, sauteing until translucent.

Add green beans, potatoes and hot water, bring to a boil.

 Make meatballs, mixing hamburger, egg, salt, pepper and flour.  Shape into tiny (slightly <1") balls and drop into boiling stew.  

Cook until beans are tender, seasoning well with salt and pepper.  If desired, you may add a 12oz can of evaporated milk right before serving for a more creamy soup.
Without evaporated milk

With evaporated milk
My Notes:
1.  Don't be afraid of the bacon grease, it really does add "something" in the background flavor.
2.  Make sure you season the stew with salt and pepper, it's a little bland otherwise.
3.  My hubby LOVED the meatballs.  I'd never "constructed" any quite this way before.  They held together wonderfully while cooking and had a very different texture from other meatballs we've had.
4.  I was able to make about 80 meatballs!
5.  Maybe adding a pinch of an herb would be good in this...like thyme or...???
6.  I preferred the evaporated milk..made it a little richer.
7.  I served this tonight with Triscuits, goat cheese and cut up red peppers...and was very satisfied.

As you've probably guessed by now, I'm a down home cook.  Nothin' fancy here.  I like bacon (and it's flavorful grease), cream, half & half and butter.  My cholesterol is 151 and my blood pressure is 110/70.  I'm allowed.
Anything I post can always be adjusted to your liking, it won't hurt my feelings.  In fact, I'd love to hear about the alterations you've made!!

Time for me to pick a few things up around here and then do some major crashing on the sofa...
And then.....z-z-z-z-z-z-z   Good-night everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment