Sunday, October 24, 2010

Baked Pork, Saurkraut and Potatoes

It's been quite a stretch since I've posted anything.  Well, anything of substance...
I needed an escape and found my way here tonight.

With the mild weather of Fall in full swing, it seemed like a good time to post one of my grandmother's recipes.  It is a particular favorite in our family and thankfully so, since it only takes minutes to throw together!

It is one of the recipes found in my grandma's personal cookbook...

...which she typed and assembled during WWII, using the office typewriter in her spare time.  There were two volumes, of which I have copied the entire contents, making one.  I understand from my mom that Grandma used to tear pages out, to use or lend, and many never found their way back, so the book is not complete. You will find that many of the recipes in her book will have a very German flavor to them.  Grandma was a first generation American, the only child of  German immigrants and it showed in her food stylizations!  I can still remember walking over to visit her and being offered Liverwurst Sandwiches...often.  While it wasn't my cup of tea,  I will still buy a roll of liverwurst to munch on just to get the food memory associated with the taste.

So let's make some memories of our own...



***My notes:  This is my grandmother's original recipe...now here is my rewrite....


Baked Pork, Sauerkraut and Potatoes

Pork ---> (whatever you have or like, anything will work in any amount...my favorite...boneless country-style ribs)
2-3 (15 oz) cans Bavarian Style Sauerkraut---> (I use the Libby's caraway packed variety)
Potatoes, cut up into chunks--->  (however many you have on hand or like....sometimes I don't use any at all!!)

Place the pork in the bottom of a dutch oven

Layer the potatoes on top


Place the sauerkraut, juice and all, over the potatoes and pork.  Make sure the sauerkraut covers the potatoes nicely.  This will keep them from drying out!


Now cover and place in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  (I lean toward the 2 hours mark)

Remove from oven, lift lid and smell the goodness...

You've just made the perfect Fall meal and the hardest thing you had to do was peel and cut a few potatoes!


On a side note...this recipe has already made some memories in my household.  Two years ago, when the remnants of Hurricane Ike blew through (still a Category 1), everyone lost power, some for upwards of 2 weeks!  We were one of the first households (at 3 days in the dark) to get our power back and the first thing I did was fix two huge pots of this meal and invite many of our still-in-the-dark friends over for something hardy.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Thank you for taking the time to type a treasure on your old Underwood, Grandma.  I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment