Monday, September 6, 2010

Martha Stewart's Surprise Cookies

I have no story to tell today, just another good cookie recipe.

I had recently checked out Martha Stewart's "Cookies", published 2008, from my local library and found an abundance of wonderful treats within it's pages.  To my delight, I later found that most of the recipes I was ogling/drooling over were published on her website.  Happily, I printed out and tested her Surprise Cookies, the first of many, I'm afraid.

Since you can find the recipe online (see the link), I'll not post it here.  What follows is the walk through and notes.
Martha Stewart's Surprise Cookies


Ingredients are pretty much what you'd expect.  Flour, cocoa powder, sugar, eggs, milk, etc...  
Do you see marshmallows?  Just wait, that is where the magic happens!

You're gonna do all the usual stuff, whisking, creaming, adding, setting aside...

...until you get a lovely cookie dough that looks like this....

Using a cookie or ice cream scoop, lay them out in neat rows on your cookie sheet.  Bake at 375* and remove from oven....  (It took enormous self control to not gobble all these down....)


Add the halved marshmallows, as directed, and bake again for a couple of minutes.  They'll get a little toasty on top.  S'all good.

 Now comes the frosting....(Can you stand it???  My mouth is watering just typing this!)

All that's left is frosting and enjoying!


Notes:
1.  There is hardly anything bad to say here.  They are extremely rich, so if you're palate has "matured",  these may not be for you.   My college-aged girls loved them though....(their palates haven't "matured" yet...).
2.  You have to work FAST when frosting the little stinkers.  The frosting will start to 'harden' after a very short time. 
3.  If you read the comments associated with this recipe at MS's website, you'll find a lot of imagination.  Some folks thought of substituting peanut butter cups, peppermint patties, and the like,  for the marshmallow.   I think they are geniuses!  What is your idea?

This was a great recipe, very much like Mallomars, and I will be adding it to my Christmas cookie list.  It was a little time consuming, but well worth the effort.  A special thank you to the fabulous cooks at MS.  

On a personal note...
Martha Stewart and company....my hips hate you...(in a good way).

No comments:

Post a Comment