Sunday, September 19, 2010

Easy Fruit Cobbler

Here is another recipe that I inherited with the husband.  It too comes from his grandmother and is just too good not to share.  A bonus....it goes together in minutes with no taste sufferage!  The only problem with the recipe is it's one of those...a pinch here and a dab there kind.  No rules, just eye ball it, my dear!

Grandma B.'s Fruit Cobbler

Sugar
Cinnamon
Fruit of your choice, sliced (I used fresh peaches)
about 4-6 T. Bisquick Baking Mix (I know it's kinda cheating... but that's what Grandma used!)
1/3 c. Sugar (adjust to your liking)
Milk
1/8-1/4 c. Canola Oil (or any light oil, I've even used light olive oil!)
Pam Spray (to grease the bowl)

I had 3 peaches sitting on the counter that I knew weren't going to get used in time, so...I decided to make Grandma's cobbler.  They would make just enough for a single night's dessert.

First thing you do is slice the fruit, peel as necessary.  You can use anything you have.  Frozen is fine, too.

Next, you'll want to sugar and cinnamon the fruit.  This is a matter of taste.  My husband likes his cobbler very sweet, so I put a lot of sugar in ours.  After mixing, place in a greased oven safe casserole or bowl.

Now for the batter...when Grandma says 4-6T. Bisquick....she's not pulling your leg....she means 4-6 of those great big spoons our moms used to use for serving! ...Pile it high...
You'll have to guess a little based on how much fruit you have.  But you can't really go wrong.
Add the 1/3 c. sugar to the Bisquick.

Add milk to make a medium batter (like a pancake batter)...

Stir in the oil and it'll look more like this....

Now pour the batter over the fruit...


 Looks yummy, doesn't it?  Now bake 1/2 hour at 400*, then turn the oven down to 350* and bake 1/2 hour more (a total of one hour).  That's it!  And you get this....


My husband likes his fruit cobbler served with half and half, I'll eat it plain!  It's so good.  The beauty is you can't really mess this up too much.  If you have a lot of fruit, then make a little more batter to go with it, no prob.  It's all "eye-balled" anyway and I've never had it turn out bad.

**Note: Try any fruit you have in the orchard or freezer, Blackberries are my favorites!  
             Heck, I've even used rinsed canned peaches! 

Hope you enjoyed another peek into my family's cookbook.  I'll be posting a lot more family recipes this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment