Sunday, September 26, 2010

Basket Weaving...Not for Sissies

To those who have more 'craftiness' in their little fingers than I have in my entire body....more power to you...I'm jealous.  You know who you are.  Halloween comes and you've got the whole place decked out like something from the  Haunted Mansion at Disneyland or Christmas rolls around and there just aren't enough hours in the day for you to finish decorating those sugar cookies with royal icing...and you like it!!!  Me, I just try to survive it...

Yesterday I took a basket weaving class with my friend, thought it could be fun, isn't this what they stereotypically prescribed for calming the folks who had a 'touch of nerves' not all that long ago?  Well, I had a 'touch of nerves' when I was done, and I give tremendous credit to those of you who are actual basketeers. 

From start...
To finish...
And everything in between...

...I was a basket case (pun intended).
I felt out of control the entire time, constantly looking to the instructor or my friend for guidance.  I don't like that helpless feeling.  I'm not the damsel type.  Though seriously, I could see where, if you had a clue, on a nice warm day, with a pitcher of homemade lemonade nearby....it could be a sweet way to wile away a lazy afternoon.

I'm not sure I'll pursue basket weaving any further.  I'm really more of a needle worker and this just seemed to make my brain hurt.  I wish I could get the knack though...they would make lovely gifts for Christmas.  Or...maybe something in which to place a jar of homemade jam and scone mix with a cute little get well card!  Hey!!!  Maybe I do have a little creativity...buried deep...very deep...

Anyone interested in giving basket weaving a whirl....here are a couple sites run by a gal in the know...
http://www.basketmasterweavings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/basketmasternancy

1 comment:

  1. Your basket turned out beautiful!!!!! You do have some creativity buried in you.
    Thank you so much for the shout out and I do hope you will give basket weaving another whirl.
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete