Monday, August 2, 2010

Quick Steel Cut Oats

Thought I'd share my favorite breakfast of late...Steel Cut Oats.
As you can see, Steel Cut Oats are produced by taking the whole oat grains and pretty much "cutting" or chopping them, usually in half or thirds.  Normally the grain is rolled or cooked and rolled to get what most people are used to buying in the big Quaker tubs.  These gems are hard little bits and not at all-l-l-l-l suitable for making oatmeal cookies...unless you want to break a tooth....or are Jaws...

The directions on the package calls for a 30 minute cook time, but I've figured out a way to cut that down to about 10 minutes and it doesn't require baking, a crock pot, or a thermos.

Here's the process...
(Click here for printable version of recipe)
For one serving, measure out 1/4 c steel cut oats.  I like to give them a good rinse, just swish them around in a bowl and drain a couple times, then add around 1 cup water and let it sit overnight.  Sound familiar?  It's a lot like soaking beans!
 I do it right in the cereal bowl I plan to use the next morning.  It's just less mess that way.
In the morning you're going to drain the water and this is what you'll see...
See how they've kind of swelled up and "popped" a little?  This is what is going to make the process really speedy!
Now, put the oats and 3/4 c. water in a small saucepan on your stove top,
bring to a boil and reduce to a medium flame/heat.
Now it's a matter of not letting it stick to the pan.  Just stir it every so often in the first couple minutes, but near the end, as it thickens, I'd stay on top of it.  It won't take long....
I like mine nice and thick, so my oats usually take about 8-10 minutes to cook.  I suppose if you want it a little sloppier, you could do this in 6-7 minutes.

Now all you need to do is put it back in your rinsed out cereal bowl and add 1/2 T. maple syrup,
and instead of milk, I splurge and add some Half and Half....I know, I know....but I can't help myself....
...it's soooo good.  Maybe it's my Irish lineage, but I could eat this everyday.  Seriously.

If you try this, I think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise.  It's chewy, substantial and could be switched up in any number of ways, this is just my current favorite.

A healthy heart to all!


No comments:

Post a Comment