Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Dutch Beauty Sampler

Thought today I'd post the cross stitch project that has had me tied up for the last 3 years!  I haven't worked on it solidly during that time, I've taken hiatuses here and there to do other projects.  Such as Queen of Freedom ...
...the Sarah Hook Sampler, unframed here, which I fell in love with because it reminded me of the old cemeteries in Boston, where we lived for 4 years...

...and this little guy, also unframed...don't remember the name of the pattern.  It was one of those postcard jobbies...

But here is the the mother of all stitcheries, or is it stitcherys?...

Okay, I know it's a wrinkled mess, click on the link here to see how it's suppose to look.  I do all my work free hand, no hoops or frames, so with a piece this large I've had to roll the fabric like a scroll.  As a result you see my 'scroll lines'.  I'll post a photo later of the completed project all nice and pressed and hopefully framed (if it doesn't bankrupt me!).
In the meantime, here are a few crinkled semi-close ups of the larger motifs...
This is where I am in the pattern at the moment...
 I believe there are 21 pages to this monster.  I only have 3 more to go!  I have enjoyed working on 'Beauty' as I really despise alphabet samplers, they are just too tedious for me and the motifs are really fun to see fall into line one by one.  My biggest concern was, "Geez, I hope I counted this out correctly", which it now looks like I did...WHEW!  All I could think of was what if I run out of fabric at the end?  Disaster. 
Oh, one more note on the pattern...if you are a color freak...don't stitch this.  You only work with about a dozen fairly bland colors, and it gets old REEEEEALLY fast.  I'm seriously thinking of doing the 1814 Butterfly Collection next, just for sensory input!

I was hoping to have Beauty finished by the end of August, but I can now see that it's not in the cards, so I'll be happy with a year end finish.  Not positive what I'll do then, but I have a few big patterns waiting in the wings for attention.  I'm a glutton for punishment, but I love it.

↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓ ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓ 
Update April 9:  To see the finished product, click on this link
↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑  

2 comments:

  1. Can you tell me how much fabric you used on the Dutch Beauty? It is really beautiful. You did a great job.
    Thanks,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly! Thanks for the encouraging words!
      I don't remember exactly how much fabric I bought, but
      you can find more details on my final Dutch Beauty post here:
      http://riverspitter.blogspot.com/2011/02/dutch-beauty-sampler-part-deux.html
      You'll find the finished dimensions, fabric count and the stitch count I used as well (which I finally did find in the pattern...and I was off a little!).
      I think I added an extra 4" of fabric on each edge, too, to compensate for any counting errors I may have made. I was a little worried that might happen due to the size. Thank goodness, everything went well! Hope that helps.

      Delete