Friday, June 4, 2010

Sour Cream Dressing

Hubby brought in a nice bouquet of assorted salad greens from our little yard garden recently and I immediately ran for his grandma's dressing recipe.  Nothing is better on fresh greens than this elixir.  If the greens are a little bitter this helps sweeten them up, and if you like a little punch, the vinegar can be adjusted to accomodate.
What I really adore about the recipe is that is takes only about 2 minutes to throw together.  Shaking included.  So why not join me in a lovely, old recipe that's sure to become a summer favorite.

(I could almost paste the pictures here and let them tell the story, but I am a control freak and must have my way with them...)

For starters, I prefer using a small leftover pickle jar or the like.  I think this one encased some lemon curd which was devoured in short order.  They have nice tight seals on the top and 'usually' don't leak.
That being said, pour in the half and half and salt.  Then add the sugar...
And the vinegar....

Now, give 'er a good shakin'!  I know Grandma's recipe says to stir after every addition, but I don't find it makes a lick of difference.  So for the sake of saving those ever-so-precious seconds...go for it!  It'll feel good breaking the rules (don't tell Grandma!).


The only thing left to do now is to make my salad happy.  Doesn't it look happy?
 This recipe is very versatile.  I've used sugar free alternatives in place of the sugar and I've used home "brewed" herbal vinegars to spice things up a little.  I think you could change it up in many different ways and still have a lovely dressing.  Hope you enjoy playing around with this, and I bet if you ask your grandma, she'll have something similar in her trusty recipe box!

Without further adieu...

 Sour Cream Dressing

Stir together:
1/2 c. half and half
1/4 t. salt
Add:
1 heaping T. sugar
Stir well and add:
1 T. vinegar
Stir. Taste. Feel free to adjust as desired.
Pour over fresh salad greens.  M-m-m...


Thank you Grandma, 90+ years young.  You're a gem and I'm glad you came with the "package".  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment