Saturday, June 26, 2010

Blast from the Past

This past week has been one of the best weeks I've had in a long time.
One of my very best friends from high school and the early 20-something years came to visit.  We figured we hadn't seen each other for nearly 20 years.  Last time, I was 7 months pregnant and Matron of Honor at her wedding.  She is one of those people nearly everyone can let their hair down around and whose spirit is contagious.  As I sit here flicking away the tears (missing her already), I marvel at how blessed  I've been to have such wonderful friendships in my life.  It's not an easy thing, you know.  Some never have "those kind" of  friends, I've had more than any one person deserves.  Not all life long, but all quality.

While she was visiting, I wanted to show her some of the sites, unfortunately you run out quickly around here.  So day one, we did the Huffman Prairie Flying Field and Interpretive Center a-a-and local tour done!  There is a lot more to see in the area, but neither of us were in the frame of mind to play tourist, so we cast our cares to the wind and played it by ear.

We did go to Young's Dairy for ice cream (practically considered a local sin if you omit this from the show and tell list), where we enjoyed some of their yummy (I use that word a lot, don't I...?) ice cream.  My favorite?  Two actually...Chocolate-Peanut Butter and Key Lime Crunch...OMGosh....'nuff sed, as my uncle used to say.  Seriously, best ice cream in town.
...Oh yeah....they have goats, putt-putt, tractor/hay rides, petting & feeding area, cows, etc.  Great place for the kiddies.
Go there.


On the very last day of the visit Wright-Patterson AFB held it's now annual Tattoo 2010, which one of the web dictionaries defines as "Tattoo: a drumbeat or bugle call that signals the military to return to their quarters".   The show consisted of  fly-overs,

honors and induction services, Air Force bands/singers and special guest performer .38 Special.

The night was capped off with the best fireworks in the area, if not the state.  Their idea?  Instead of an hour long show of a burst here and there in the sky, why not make the whole show a finale!  So it's a short 20 minutes of WOW!  I personally like the idea.  Who wants to sit there unimpressed for an hour?  This is a stroke of pyrotechnic genius.   Thank you Wright-Patterson AFB!!!  You guys rock!
.38 Special mentioned there were 60,000 in attendance.  Not too shabby.  As in past years, I know you'll find us there again.

I hope my dear friend visits me again.  Or better yet, maybe I'll weasel a mini girl's vacation out of hubby and go visit her.  She has many things to teach me and I'd be happy to play Grasshopper to her sage-like wisdom.

Now....go hug your friends.  Tell them I sent you.

2 comments:

  1. The feeling is mutual my friend! Our time together will be a long-held treasure (as long as my memory serves lol) Love you!

    ReplyDelete