Sunday, June 13, 2010

Banana Split Festival

Banana Splits....what's not to like here?  Three nice scoops of ice cream, bananas (my favorite fruit) and fudgy, fruity sauces.  The thought of one instantly makes you feel like a giddy 8 years old, covered with rich goo.  My grandmother once made me one in a red banana boat.  I must have been about 4, but the memory is as vivid as if it were yesterday, and I still can see myself sitting at her kitchen table waiting for the special treat.  I must have been very good that day. 

So when hubby suggested a trip to Wilmington, Ohio's Banana Split Festival today it was thumbs up all around. 
When we arrived we were a little worried we'd have to do some major walking just to get to the festival grounds, you see the temperataure was well into the 80's (humid as all get-out) and parking was across the street.  But the festival folks were very efficient, having a nice little golf cart shuttle service running betwixt and between.  

No sooner had we arrived on the grounds than we honed in on the Banana Split tent.

You place your order, receive your dish...
Collect your banana and add topping as desired...
And wa-la....
Okay, so I wussed out.  I only got one scoop of chocolate ice cream....I'm a banana split loser.  It was still good and the chocolate ice cream was soooo smooth.  They ordered all the ice cream for the festival splits from a place in Wilmington called Peppermint Patty's...very scrumptious.  We passed it on the way out of town and decided that we would need to make a pit stop there sometime soon.

Aside from the obvious attraction, the rest of the festival was your typical small town doin's.
Dunk tanks and bandstands...
Game area and craft alley....

...I did find the cutest necklaces sold by the sweetest lady I'd met in a while.  Apparently her tent had blown over earlier in the day and she nearly threw in the towel.  I'm glad she was a trooper and didn't, I enjoyed our meeting.
Here is the necklace I chose...
She explained to me that she makes them herself and they are made out of scrabble pieces!  I thought it was such a neat idea and she really did a very nice job on these.  So I asked her if I could post her info on the blog and she was gracious enough to allow me to share.
Her name is Jennifer and you can find her at:  http://recycledcharms.com/.  She sells her necklaces for $5.00 each and there is no additional charge for a custom request.  Shipping and handling is .80.  I thought it was extremely reasonable.  So if you're looking for a well made, adorable bauble, check her out! 
(PS...I am in no way affiliated with this vendor...I just like her stuff....;-))


So much for the latest in the Riverspitter Adventure Journal.  I'm getting geared up for some baking in the next week or so and hope to post something new in that department.  What to bake...what to bake....?

Thanks for tagging along today.  Somehow posting these sorts of things here puts the icing on the cupcake for me...or should I dare to say...cherry on top...;-)
More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment