Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Antiquing Haul

Went to one of my favorite antique haunts today, Waynesville, Ohio.  During the year Waynesville hosts several events such as the Sauerkraut Festival, a Civil War Encampment, Fall Gathering and Christmas in the Village.  My favorite reason for roaming it's Main Street is the antique stores that line both sides, guaranteeing me a  find of some new little bauble or brick-a-brack.

Today SIL and I went antiquing while the other half of the family went to the National Museum of the USAF.  I think I got the better deal.  I'm not saying the museum isn't a blast, but I've been there a million times (...or the number of guests that have visited over the years...) and just need a little break from the usual touristy stuff.
Waynesville fit the bill today and I bought a few things for the kitchen.

I will now share my haul...(said with the excitement of a 12 year old girl)...

I found these cookbooks to add to my collection, not paying more than $4.50 for any one of them.  The YWCA Hong Kong booklet was .50 and all the recipes inside are in both English and Chinese.  I  couldn't resist.  I also loved the red book's title..."The Mystery Chef's Own Cook Book".  It called my name...and is now Riverspitter's own cookbook....Hopefully they will yield some interesting long lost recipes that I can conjure back to a new life.

Next I found these saucers for $1.00 each.  I like to use them as spoon rests, both when I'm at the stove and when I'm assembling recipes at the counter.  They have personality and they are cheap...yeah...
The green saucer had a whole set of dessert plates that matched, but I just couldn't justify another purchase. Though give me time, they were beautiful, perfect for Christmas.

Then I ran into this salt and pepper set.  Nothing special here, I thought they somewhat matched the stoneware I have scattered about my kitchen.  Ended up I have a terrible sense of color, too mustard-y, but for a $2.00 gamble I don't feel cheated.

Last, but not least, and my favorite purchase...this crock for a whopping $22.  I like to stash my utensils in a small crock next to the stove.  The one I've had for years was nice and very functional, but didn't really match the color theme I have going (okay, I know there's a naughty word for this dysfunction, and yes, I am that word). Today, after years of searching I found an acceptable replacement.....ta-da....
Here is the before...
and after...

It's another one of those small things in life moments... 

I'm afraid nothing else eventful happened today.  Just enjoyed my time with SIL and prowling the streets of a sweet little town.  I'm hoping to go back again soon.  I had my eye on a couple other things, which I may convince myself I really do "need".  Maybe it's hubby who needs the convincing....I dunno...

Hope your summer is off to a lovely start.

No comments:

Post a Comment