Monday, May 10, 2010

Comfort Food - Ground Beef Stroganoff

Though I've been told that food shouldn't become a crutch, there are days when my soul is limping badly and nothing will do but comfort food. The kinda days you just need a little pick-me-up, or something that is warming inside--a "food hug" if you will. Sometimes I don't need comforting at all and just want to taste a memory. It's funny how powerful a sense can be.

While I can't say this recipe is the "food-hugging" kind for me, it's quick and warms you up inside...although...that could be the sherry....

Ground Beef Stroganoff
(10 minutes to assemble and 20 minutes to cook)

12 oz. wide egg noodles (I used whole wheat)
1 T. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 lb. lean ground beef
6 oz. mushrooms, sliced (I used fresh--yum)
2 T. unbleached flour
1/2 c. dry sherry
1 c. beef broth (I used 1 t. beef bouillon granules + 1 c. warm water)
2 T. chopped fresh dill, optional
1/2 c. sour cream (you'll need more!)
salt and pepper to taste

Cook egg noodles according to directions. Al dente, or a little better is fine.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet, over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the ground beef and saute until browned and broken up, about 5 minutes. Drain grease.

Add the mushrooms and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle on the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.

Add the sherry and bring to boil . Add the broth and dill; simmer and stir until slightly thickened, (you guessed it...) about 5 minutes.


Reduce heat to medium. Add the sour cream and stir until heated through. Do not boil!
Season with salt.

Drain noodles, transfer to a large bowl, add stroganoff mixture, season with pepper and toss thoroughly.

Serves 4 (these must be giant servings, I could get at least 6)

(Looks can be deceiving....this is a ton of food!)

My Notes: ~This is one of those recipes where it's good to have everything prepped. You're doing something every 5 minutes.
~While 1/2 c. sour cream is fine as mentioned in the recipe...I think it could use a little more! And the next day after you've warmed it up again....throw some on top, you'll need it. The sour cream gets 'absorbed' into the noodles and this will give it back that creamy texture.

Now, I have no idea where I found this recipe...well, that isn't exactly true...it came from somewhere on the internet years ago. I spent a whole evening doing searches to credit the original poster and came up empty, so hope you enjoy this recipe's new life!

2 comments:

  1. My mom has this recipe (almost identical) in the cook book she put together for our family. She use to make it when I was growing up - - don't know where she got it. Probably one of those Navy Wives recipe swap things from days gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...So this is one of those "memory tasting" recipes for you! I love that!

    ReplyDelete