Saturday, April 24, 2010

Opening Salvos-Riverspitter Explained

Well, with something new, you always have to start somewhere. So in lieu of an introduction I'll tell you how I came up with the name for this blog...Riverspitter.

My maternal grandfather had a way with the language, always twisting and turning a word or phrase. He had at his disposal what seemed a catalog of wonderful, and sometimes naughty, ditties. The kind of stuff that made kids howl with glee and mothers do that scrunchy thing with their faces. One of our family favorites was a little rhyme that went like this:

I love you with all my heart, soul and liver.
If I had you in my mouth....I'd spit you in the river!


Okay, so I never said they made any sense, but we sure loved them.
This rhyme has followed my family into the 4th generation. My husband thought I was surely the screwiest blond he'd ever had misfortune of running across when my passion for annihilating the language presented itself shortly after the ring did. He then counted himself among the truly miserable when he found he had spawned 3 kids with a similar... eh-he...'talent'. Needless, to say, our family loves each other totally...with all our 'hearts, souls and especially livers'.

No comments:

Post a Comment